Thursday, April 2, 2009

The CASPA Odyssey!!!

I decided to log into CASPA and see what I would be in for when I decided to apply, a sort of test run. Still unsure if I was in a position to really apply to the only program that was in my reach and plausible in my situation, I created an account and began to "complete" the application. Somewhere along the way, I realized that I could actually go through with the application to Nova - Orlando even though I had a few outstanding pre-requisites. I had already signed up for the EMT-B course but had not yet started classes. Re reading the admissions requirements on the programs website, I saw that a person could have classes that were requirement either in progress or planned. I was thrilled! I knew that I could handle the class load and have the necessary pre-reqs completed in time for matriculation. I don't think I really expected to get an interview on the first try but it was worth an attempt. My biggest hindrance was not the classes but the required letters of recommendations that must be submitted with the application.
It is important to note that not all programs use the Centralized Application Service. Many excellent programs choose to use their own applications and processes, so do not forget to research those programs also in your quest to find the program that fits you best. And the choice of a program is all about where you fit best and what program fits you best as you will live, breath and dream this for the next several years.
The CASPA format is actually very user friendly and straight forward. I really do recommend to anyone planning to apply to go to the site and look around, read the instructions and gather the info that you will need to properly complete the application. This includes requesting transcripts from all the colleges and universities ever attended. For me, this was somewhat daunting as I attended the University of Maryland in Europe many years ago. Just finding the proper forms to fax to the headquarters in Germany was an ordeal. I needed to get a copy for myself to enter the classes in the proper order with the proper names and I needed to order a copy for CASPA using the special CASPA form. After many attempts with the fax and a follow up phone call after each fax, I finally was able to clear that hurdle. But I still had to wait for my copy to come in the mail and it took about 3 weeks! The remaining schools were easier, simply a request filled out online to get the copy to me and then a fax with the CASPA form for the school to send the official forms to CAPSA.
I began the process in August which was already late in the cycle. I highly recommend applying as early as possible in the cycle which opens around mid April each year. Several reasons for this:
1. Your application is processed quickly as long as all your documents are in. It takes just a few days early in the cycle, once august hits, so does the major influx of applications and the process time to calculate GPAs and such can range up to 6 weeks.
2. Once the programs you are applying to receives your application early in the cycle, most will take a closer look at it simply because they are not overwhelmed with many files to review. Later, the shear volume of application hinders a thorough review and the obvious mechanisms to "weed out" applicants kick in.
3. Some programs have an early deadline. Pay close attention to deadlines, some programs will go by the submission date to CASPA as proof you filed in time while others want all info in their office by the deadline.
Regardless the reasons, Early Is Better!!
Applicants should follow the directions on the CASPA application carefully, when in doubt, re read the instructions and if there is still a question mark in your mind, call CASPA customer service. Speculating on the best way to do an entry is not a good thing, call the experts! That is what they are there for!
Following the directions properly also shows that you are capable of do so and that you haven't tried to "beat the system" or find a shortcut or even exaggerate an experience. A "messy" or incomplete application is certainly not what Admissions coordinators (Adcomms) want to see. Rest assured that thoser applications will be quickly discarded.
There are specific areas for Healthcare Experience and Health-related Experience, these are two different things and rather than go into detail of what may count and what not, first and foremost, use common sense. Call the programs you are interested in for clarification since different programs consider experience differently. What may count for one does not mean that every school counts it. So, how do you appeal to various programs with different requirements? The best solution is to prepare your application so that it appeals to the most schools that you are interested in and the remaining will be able to choose the information that pertains to their requirements.
Another thing that some applicants forget to include is any and all volunteer work and any other community service whether applicable to the profession or not. These things are important for Adcomms to evaluate your commitment to the community in which you live. Include things you have done which can show this, volunteering/working in school activities like mentoring, tutoring, associations, assistance with senior citizens,assisted living facilities, food drives, homeless shelters,Blood drives, medical missions, church missions, mentoring at community centers, boys and girls clubs, 4-H, boy scouts, girl scouts, your child's career days, fields trips etc...Many of these things will strike a chord with Adcomms who are involved in similar activities.
All in all the application was simple, easy to follow and slightly time consuming due to my extensive credit hours. Now, obtaining not only letters of recommendations (LORs) but the right LORs is a whole different story! Next post...LORs Dilemmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment